Sunday, January 1, 2012

Today is the first day of the rest of your life... until tomorrow is

First, a little bit about last night.  I am generally not a fan of holidays such as new year's eve where there are outlandish expectations that you will have the time of your life. I have had decent new year's eves and I have had horrible ones, but I am pretty sure it has never been the best night of the year.  To keep it low key and kid-friendly this year, my little family celebrated the ball dropping on the Eiffel Tower rather than on Times Square.  Ain't no way anyone in this house was going to make it til midnight so we decided to do it Paris-style and have a super early dinner and make lots of noise at 6 pm. We went with the nugget and a group of our friends to a very trendy Alsatian restaurant near us. I didn't wear anything sparkly, but there were no ketchup spots on what I did wear so I consider that a huge victory. I had onion soup and mussels (with bacon! best ever!) and champagne and some other drink and by the end of our dinner, I swore I would never need to eat again. We were home by 8, the nugget was asleep by 8:30, and the grownups were in bed by 11. Perfect!

I woke up this morning feeling pretty much just like any other morning. Does anyone get a different feeling on these kinds of holidays that merely mark a day on the calendar, not some event? I never do. We had a great day but it was pretty much like every other Sunday during the year. It was nice not to have a hangover, though. That is one thing I certainly don't miss from my child-free days - the day after a really good party. My head hurts just thinking about it. The good party, on the other hand.... sometimes I do miss that.

My new year's resolution this year is pretty simple: to use/buy as few "Made in China" products as possible. I have probably already broken it because everything from our orange juice to our toilet paper is made in China these days (and I have already had my vitamin C and wiped my butt today). I am just convinced (warning: conspiracy theory ahead) that the Chinese are putting all sorts of lead and cadmium and plutonium in our stuff to assure their world dominance. You know, melting our brains from the inside. Maybe? I'm probably nuts so don't spend too much time worrying about it. You can borrow my tinfoil hat if you want, though.

I close with this: Happy new year to everyone. I hope the Mayans were wrong... but enjoy each day as if they're spot on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs